Thursday, March 14, 2019

Precious Time

No doubt about it now. Looking for evidence of spring is the surest way to find it. Today's walk took me far afield of the church neighborhood. I drove over to McLean, to take advantage of the timing before an afternoon meeting there.
I have crossed over Pimmit Run many times, without realizing its place in the geography of these parts. There is an extensive trail system following that Run, I've found out, and one can wander natural areas of geography, as long as the land isn't good for building houses. I suspect that this natural watershed floods often, and so would wash away structures like houses. It leaves the streambed and surrounding flood plains clear, to be claimed by any park system that wants to preserve them.
Very large houses have been built overlooking this streambed. They seem high enough to avoid all but the most serious of flood threats. However, "100-yr" floods have been happening all over the country. What would it take to flood these homes and inflict 7-figure losses on their owners? I wonder how long it will take us to realize the folly of building such mansions in a world of global warming? By the year 2050, the houses perched above this streambed may be holding 2, 3, or even 4 families. I hope that the occupants realize how fortunate they are to live in the 2020's.


No comments: