Wednesday, March 20, 2019

New rhythm...reading and walking

Wednesday, March 20
Happy first day of spring. I tried a different way of walking today--walking while reading. I am someone who likes to multitask, but it might just be a way of being lazy.
I have a new book that I've been wanting to get to, so I chose to walk today by circling the parking lot, first clockwise then counterclockwise, to keep from getting dizzy. Keeping off the sidewalk also would help me to keep from bumping into people.
Here's the book I was reading. I thought it would be funny, and it is. I found myself giggling in several places, having to explain myself to people parking their cars and going into the church building.
The author Peter Enns has a delightful style: "The Bible is designed for wisdom because it reflects the wisdom of God--not despite its antiquity, ambiguity, and diversity, but precisely by means of them. Its purpose is to invite us to explore, ponder, reflect, muse, discuss, debate, and in doing so work out a life of faith--not to keep that hard work from happening. The Bible is not the problem. The Bible is great--not because it is an answer book, but precisely because it isn't; not because it protectively hovers over us [like a helicopter parent], but because it most definitely doesn't." In the first few chapters, I had to guffaw more than once.
So let's clear out a few more places where there is dead wood, and take up walking for wisdom.



No comments: