Monday, March 11, 2019

Mon March 11

My birthday!  I'm continuing my Lent discipline of walking for one hour every day until Easter. When I'm around the church, I intend to start at noon, just when the church chimes are sounding. Today I was curious to hear if the chimes made the adjustment to Daylight Savings Time. I remember in years past that they didn't. Today, yes, right on time at noon! They chimed the 12 notes for the hour and then played "Lift High the Cross" which I remember was a favorite of one of a former parishioner, now singing in the heavenly choir. Lots of fond memories as I headed up the paved path through the woods behind the church, noticing that there isn't a house in sight, even though this spot is less than a tenth of a mile from the church. I noticed several other well worn paths that branch off from the sidewalk and head into the woods. There is evidence that lots of people know these trails. Broken green glass is strewn about. At another place a make-shift shelter has been put together by leaning logs between two upright trees. Probably some industrious budding children engineers.

The hills and vales that meander through this part of north Arlington have been cut by water draining into the Potomac River. The county has preserved lots of wooded acreage in this area. Trees help keep the land in place, prevent erosion, and anchor those expensive and large houses clinging to the sides of hills.
I kept walking, noticing the quiet, until I reached the top of the hill and the backyard of the local elementary school. Playground noises started to intrude my hearing. I noticed the amazing outdoor garden area, which I had not seen before. It's obvious that the values of nature and penchant for gardening are being instilled into these young children. I approached the play ground to see lots of pick up games among the kids, and teachers keeping an appropriate distance.

Since I had already climbed up a significant hill, I decided to keep finding a route that would take me higher. I could see through the trees that this particular spot in Arlington was a high one for many miles around. I could see across the Potomac to the site of the National Cathedral in the distance.
 I kept climbing via neighborhood streets to reach a point that seemed to be the highest home lot in the area. Reaching that spot (on a dead end street) I noticed that it's a modest home, looking like one of the original homebuilder's types that are so prevalent here. Even though it occupies the highest piece of ground, the little house doesn't seem to take advantage of the view because it's only one story. That great view is better appreciated by a neighboring house's design, just a few feet lower down the street, a full three stories high and high above the street. I wonder if the home's occupants look out their window at the National Cathedral. Do they have a faith tradition that takes them to a church or do they read the paper and drink coffee on Sunday morning and enjoy the beautiful view?

Since the route back to the church was all downhill from here, I made it in lots less time than I had planned, so a took another side trip down Marcey Road. A house on that street looks like it might have been an old farmhouse. I have heard that Marcey farm was an early occupier of this neighborhood and that the little church I serve stands on farmland bought by the church from the Marcey family.  Am I looking at the  original farmhouse? Next door to the old farmhouse is a large house, either newly constructed or newly remodeled to look like a country house and barn, complete with farm fence and warning sign for traffic on the street.Yes, lots of kids and families live in this neighborhood. I wonder if they know how privileged they are to have such wealth in beautiful surroundings. Do we know how high a vantage point we have? Does it make us feel protected? special? humble?


No comments: