Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Bible in 90 Days...?


So...welcome to everyone who is rising to the challenge to read the whole Bible in 90 days with Church of the Covenant. Visit the church's website to see how our reading schedule will work.
We're doing things a bit differently from the published curriculum and I'll be sharing some of the reasons why as we go along.
First of all, we're giving you permission to use your own translation. The official folks at Zondervan [the curriculum publishers] want everyone to use the NIV. I know why they are doing this, and it's not just a cynical attempt to sell more bibles, although the sales goals of Zondervan might be helped by the effort. No, I believe the publishers when they say that they want people to focus more on the content of the text than the differences in translation. It's a worthy attempt, but I think it's wrong-headed from the get go, plus there is a whole scholarship tradition out there that has minor theological points of difference with the NIV. We won't force any one translation of paraphrase on anyone. So at Church of the Covenant [let's call ourselves COTC from now on] we're giving ourselves permission to use the translation most comfortable.
So go ahead and choose something that has the complete biblical text, both Testaments all the way through.
Ready...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Beth,

Thank you for having me this morning. I am thrilled to be included in the bible study group.

I am going to also trying blogging about my adventure. http://to--live--deliberately.blogspot.com/

Kathleen