Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Sakura

Tuesday, April 2
Yesterday was supposed to be the peak cherry blossom day in our part of the country. In the DMV cherry tree season is just about as big as it in Japan. We have some long ago generous Japanese to thank for that. It seems that the trees can flourish here.
My walk around the neighborhood today caught a glimpse of dozens of trees that are in peak bloom today. Here are just some of those specimens. 
For all the bounty of blossoms in this neighborhood, there no people walking around to look at and admire them. Aside from a few trade people working on houses, I encountered no one on my walk today. When I took a trip to see the iconic settings of the tidal basin blossoms last year, there were so many people that the trees were almost obscured. 
I prayed today that the people who live in such a beautiful neighborhood will get a chance to admire the beauty that is all around them. No need to go very far.
I wondered about people who are trapped in these houses, perhaps unable to be out and about like me. I know some of them, and some who struggle with loneliness. Our single-family home living arrangements sometimes come with a cost to our social needs. Let us pray that our neighborhood living arrangements don't jeopardize the spiritual health of the neighborhood.

No comments: