Wednesday, February 1, 2012

More on biblical illiteracy


Biblical illiteracy is engulfing us.  It’s our fault, preachers and church folks.  We have failed.  The new Presbyterian FOG calls pastors “teaching elders” and emphasizes the role we need to assume.  We need to teach.  This is part of my own calling: to study and teach the scriptures, as a way to tell folks about Jesus.  How are those who don’t know about Jesus going to follow him?  They won’t.  Teaching the Bible on it’s own terms--not as a manual for answers, not as a methodology, but as revelation--is a passion of mine.

So I’m always on the lookout for good texts that explain some points about reading scripture for 21st century, North American people.  Here's  a blog I read today that explains a way to approach scripture that is a “third way.”  Love the name, too: "Left Behind and Loving It."

1 comment:

From Mark Davis said...

Beth, Thanks for showing my blog some love. I'll be sure to return the favor along the way.
Great blog, but I spent way too long trying to figure out why you would name it "Pastor be that Covenant." Duh!