Monday, July 28, 2008

Covenant Church doesn't have a website

I will preach my first sermon as the pastor on Sunday, August 3, 2008. Jacob wrestles with a "man" at the ford of the Jabbok. Like all good Bible stories, this one has many interpretations. Over the centuries, this story has been heard as many things: a struggle with a river demon, a test of leadership, an initiation rite, a psychological confrontation with guilt; an allegory of the church?
I've worked at churches before, but the church I'm the new pastor for-- Church of the Covenant in Arlington, Virginia--is odd. The church doesn't have a website. Maybe this is a good thing...
We like our relationships face-to-face. Like Jacob at Peniel, we wrestle with God and humans in person. Whether we prevail or not remains open, but we're hanging on for a blessing.
I'm wondering what the church will decide to do: website or NOT?
Stay tuned...

No comments: